You’ve been injured due to the recklessness or negligence of another…it could be a car or bike accident, slip and fall, or maybe a dog bite. The insurance company is not being helpful or responsive. They may have offered you a settlement and you don’t know if it’s fair or if you should take it. Medical bills are piling up. You can’t work or need to take time off for physical therapy and doctor appointments. So, you ask yourself this question… Do I need the help of a personal injury lawyer? If you think the answer may be yes, then when is the right time to make a call to an attorney?
Your first priority should always be to seek medical attention immediately and have your injuries evaluated and treated. Your second priority should be to speak with a personal injury lawyer about your case. If you have sustained injuries in the accident, especially long-term or permanent injuries, it is in your best interests to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more difficult it may be to prove your case.
Let’s look at 4 important reasons why you should consult a personal injury attorney:
1. A personal injury attorney understands the applicable case law and legal process. This includes the statute of limitations, how to properly complete forms, and knowing which legal documents to file and when you need to meet certain deadlines. They also understand the law and whether you have a case. The process may be complicated, especially if you are unfamiliar with it. Insurance companies have lawyers working for them that do this day in and day out. You don’t want to lose your claim because of a legal technicality.
2. A personal injury lawyer knows how to calculate what your claim is worth. An experienced attorney will be able to help determine the true value of your claim and will not accept a settlement that does not cover the full extent of your losses. They have knowledge and experience working with insurance companies, understand how to analyze injuries, and how to put a value on pain and suffering. Your lawyer’s job is to help you navigate through the complexities and make sure you get compensation you deserve, including things like:
- Past and future losses for medical expenses
- Lost wages and future income
- Property damage
A personal injury attorney has experience negotiating a fair settlement, and if need be, going to court and litigating.
If you have long-term or permanent injuries that may require months or years of therapies, rehab, or long-term care, you should speak to a personal injury lawyer immediately. An experienced attorney understands how your injuries will impact your future and how to pursue all forms of compensation for losses.
3. A personal injury attorney will work to preserve important evidence that may help your case. The chances of prevailing, depends, in large part, on the strength of your evidence. The longer you wait to take action, the more likely that key evidence may be harder to document. A personal injury attorney will document every detail of the accident and make sure important evidence is not lost or destroyed. Your attorney will:
- Speak with the medical doctor(s) who treated or are treating your injuries
- Gather all medical records and bills
- Reconstruct the accident scene
- Interview witnesses
- Obtain the police report and speak to the investigating officer(s)
4. An experienced personal injury attorney will help you level the playing field. Insurance companies are businesses and it is not their job to look after your best interests. They are known to drag their heels during an investigation to get you to take a low-ball settlement when you are most vulnerable, possibly injured, and in need of money to pay bills. A personal injury lawyer has experience dealing with insurance companies and adjusters, negotiating settlements, navigating the pre-trial process, and when necessary, taking your case to trial. A skillful lawyer can take the burden of the legal process off your plate and help guide you through this sometimes frustrating and complex process. A knowledgeable personal injury attorney has a greater chance of success than you do by yourself.
It can feel like a battle to go up against an insurance company for medical and repair bills, as well as time lost at work. The best weapon that you can have on your side is an experienced personal injury attorney to increase your chances of obtaining a fair insurance settlement.
About the Bergeron Law Firm
Bergeron Law is a personal injury practice serving the Northern Virginia area. Our mission is to provide all our clients with the highest quality of legal representation and unsurpassed dedication and customer service.
Steve Bergeron understands that a successful attorney-client relationship depends on his ability to understand each client’s needs and objectives. Bergeron Law will be there for you with the information, advice, and advocacy you need to help you get back to your life.
For more information about personal injury and auto accidents, contact our office today at 703.813.6460, or visit our website: www.BergeronLawFirm.com.